Legal Information Centre

11 April 2008 by Jennifer Kelly

Finding the right Employment Solicitor

Important things to consider when choosing an Employment Solicitor
Important things to take into account when choosing an Employment Solicitor:

The solicitor’s background

What is the background of the solicitor in Employment? What cases has the law firm won, and what are the overall details? How long has the solicitor been practicing law? How long, specifically in Employment?

How you can help your solicitor with the case

It will help both the direction and smoothness of the case if you can participate actively in your case. When you hire a solicitor, you should find out just how much participation is possible.

Your solicitor shouldn’t make any major decisions without your permission. Check to see that your solicitor seems willing and able to explain the case to you and answers your questions clearly and completely.

Asking your solicitor about possible outcomes of the case

You should ask your solicitor about possible outcomes to your Employment case, but be careful with solicitors that guarantee big settlements or a win in court. Ask for the solicitor's opinion of your Employment case's strengths and weaknesses.

You need to understand whether the solicitor is most likely to settle the case out of court or via a trial as well as understanding the benefits of  a settlement, compared to the risks and pitfalls.

Complaining about your solicitor

Most law firms will have a partner whose job it is to handle complaints but, if not, then contact the firm’s senior partner. You can go in person using a resolution form supplied by the Consumer Complaints Service (call 0845 608 6565), the Citizens Advice Bureau (, or use one issued by the firm itself.

If you decide to do it in person or on the phone, be sure to make notes on what was said and always ask your solicitor to confirm in writing what they intend to do about your complaint and by when.

If, after everything, you still feel you received a bad service, contact the Consumer Complaints Service (CSS) at the Law Society (call 0845 608 6565). You need to do this within six months of the end of the work that the solicitor did for you.

More News & Guidance